Monday, March 22, 2010

The Long-Awaited Final Fantasy XIII

Somehow I didn't find much time over spring break to really get into the new and long awaited Final Fantasy XIII. I suppose it was all the other side projects I've had going. But I am several hours into the game, and it's just as great as I expected. The game's advertising slogan "The battle within begins" is just starting to come to Light - actually that's her name, the heroine - Lightning, but she says, "call me Light." She certainly has some problems within. Circumstances leave her with a group of strangers who become branded (literally) with a destiny they have yet to have figured out. There's deep history and myth involved on the exotic planet where all this takes place, although 8 hours into the game I am still on the mechanical outer surface where the story thus far has taken place. After each cutscene, your "datalog" gets updated with new information, usually giving, in prose, a deeper take on what just happened in the game - altogether it can be a lot of reading if you choose to get even deeper into the story than the movie-like cutscenes allow, but it's not required. I have found it to be a great game. I only wish I had a little more time right now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment