Monday, February 8, 2010

Where To?

Born and raised in Alabama, I don't really have any particular plans to stay here, but neither do I have any particular plans to move. I would like to go to New Orleans at some point and give it a chance, assuming my wife would be willing. Why? I'm not sure exactly why. I just do. Traveling is great, but I don't hold any illusions that life is magically better in one place over another. I think each person has their place in any given point in time and also I think home is what you make of it.

My first time on an airplane was for a trip to San Francisco, which was a fantastic place. The air quality was at least a million times better than that of Alabama's air.

My wife and I went to Greece a couple years ago, and it was fantastic. Of course, I would not really want to live there since I don't speak the language, but I have a lot of good friends there. Several months later I went to London alone to help some of the people I met in Greece to renovate a building. It was an interesting experience at least. I was there for 22 days. It was supposed to be a month but I changed my flight to surprise my wife. It was so funny. She thought I was on the other side of the world and I come knocking on her door about eight o'clock at night. I don't think I've ever seen her look so happy to see me. It was the funniest thing.

I think the U.S.A. is a fine place to live. Many people are going to freak as we head into lots of problems, but it's something we should all expect. A nation can't grow as fast as the U.S. did without having to suffer many drawbacks. But, as I've heard it said before - the greater the struggle, the greater the rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment