Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Unity

Yet another thing I realized during the moving process was the concept of unity. We were loading the truck, and I looked at the friends helping, and I realized that all the psychological weight that my wife and I had been carrying by ourselves had magically been diminished significantly. It was not only being shared, but it was being cured, it was disappearing.

It's an amazing thing in itself that as husband and wife, we are a team, therefore we are never alone. That is such an amazing thing that we can come to take for granted. We can become too comfortable and instead of seeing the other person for who they are, we see them as a compilation of memories, ideas, and concepts; and we can start to want to control the other person, or have commentary on every little thing. We're all guilty of it in everyday relationships, whether it's husband-wife, father-son, mother-daughter, daughter-father, etc. - the whole myriad of relationships; we are all guilty at times. But it's so fascinating when making an effort to see our close friends anew that a deeper respect and love begins to surface.

And so, these friends were there, and I was just amazed at how with friendship, all fear dissipated. It's a shame we let things slip into habits of self-interest, and so friendship and unity die. I think it's really worth the effort to keep it alive, not in an artificial sense but in the sense of making the effort to really see people, which brings me on to yet another topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment